Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Spooky Hallowe'en movies to carve by: Part II


Still here, carving away and getting ready for this year's Boneyard Boxing event... It's the second week of the 31 days of Hallowe'en, so here is the next batch of movies to help you carve up some spooky stamps or pumpkins...

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988)

If you don't know who Elvira is, shame on you!  This hilarious, campy, cheesy movie always brings a smile to my face. Elvira, who was known for hostessing the airing of bad old horror flicks, gets her own movie here involving her great aunt dying and inheriting a house, a dog, and a book.

Probably one of the cheesier movies on my list, but I love this old movie.  I ended up meeting Cassandra Peterson a few years ago and what a lovely lady she is... I hope I look that good when I'm in my 60s!



The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror: the Raven (1990)

If somehow you've been living under a rock for the past few decades, you may have missed this popular show called The Simpsons.  You would also be unaware that every year they have a Hallowe'en special episode called the Treehouse of Horror that has three mini scary stories.

The very first Treehouse of Horror episodes had a mini story told by Lisa - and James Earl Jones -  of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven.

Here it is in its entirety for your viewing pleasure.

Coraline (2009)

This newer movie is nice and spooky... It's based on Neil Gaiman's book, which is much shorter, and goes on to flesh out this amazing world. Truth be told, I like the movie better than the book.

Nice and spooky, it follows Coraline who has just moved into a new rental (something I know a bit about...) and finds kooky neightbours (also know something about) and a secret behind a tiny door... (know nothing about this).

It was put together by one of the same guys who did Nightmare Before Christmas, so it has the same sort of feel as a stop motion animated film.



Addams Family Values (1993)

This one may be controversial, but I actually like the sequel here better than the original.  Based off of the original tv series, this sequel kills be because parts of it take place at a summer camp and out in the wilderness.  And Joan Cusack? Too funny.

Anyways, I think the movie is fantastic to watch during the Hallowe'en season for obvious reasons, but if you can only see one of the Addams Family movies, skip the first and go straight for the second.



Mr. Boogedy (1986) and Bride of Boogedy (1987)

Remember the good ol' days when there was the Sunday Disney movie?  Well, these two gems were made-for-tv movies of the '80s that I had/have on beta (don't judge).  I still have them, but I don't have a working beta machine.

These great movies have to do with a family that moves into a haunted house in Lucifer Falls (couldn't they have known from the name? c'mon...). Also, I just realized that it was because of these movies that I'm afraid of the vacuum.

I have looked and looked, and other than a brutal copy online, I've never found  these movies for sale or otherwise.  If anyone knows where I can get a more modern copy (read: not beta) of these movies, I'd love to hear it!



House on Haunted Hill (1999)

This is another instance where I actually like the remake more than the original.  I love the spooky atmosphere of this killer party in an abandoned asylum for the criminally insane, and that as a nod to Vincent Price's role in the original they renamed the party host to Mr. (Stephen) Price - played by Geoffery Rush.  Great cast and super spooky, this movie originally scared me quite a bit and now I just love it for what it is.

And I love the tagline for the movie: Evil Loves to Party.



Pet Semetery (1989)

This one still gives me the creeps, which is rare for an old flick.  This is a Stephen King novel turned movie...Based on the premise that there's this old indian burial ground that in modern times was used as a pet cemetery, but anything that is buried in that ground comes back to life... ish.  Including their little son who was hit by truck, buried, dug up, reburied in the sour ground and who then comes back to terrorize the family.  Sometimes, dead is better.

I hope you're all getting ready for the spooky holiday! Happy Hallowe'en!

No comments:

Post a Comment